Wednesday, July 07, 2004

An Honest Day's Work

An Honest Day's Work


Finally, I am able to find some time to blog from this free wireless hotspot in McCafe (McDonalds) beside Sarinah. I have been allocating all CPU resources to my work for the past week that I've been here in Jakarta; leaving me with no time and energy to think of anything else.

It is good to be able to work with my ex-colleagues again; for some reason I form a good partnership with them--which is one of the reasons why I produce some of my best works with customers in Indonesia. My present assignment will take me a least another week-and-a-half and it looks like I'll have to work over the weekends too. But that's OK. I enjoy being productive.

A friend of mine who runs an IT school here asked me if I am interested to do some teaching for him. I told him that if I am here in Jakarta permanently I'd certainly be interested for I see teaching as a community service, which I am even willing to do for free.

Unfortunately I am no longer a resident of this marvellous city. If I had made the decision end of last year to stay for another year, I would have continued teaching part-time at the university, written more articles for Jakarta Kini and continued pursuing my interest in Indonesian culture and history (besides pretending to do my regular IT job).

I'm glad that my current freelance work still allows me to take up the occasional assignment in Jakarta. I supposed I'm also lucky that I don't exactly have to go out to woo for business--people call me to seek my services. Which is why I've always believed--rather naively, one might say--that good work will always be rewarded. I just need to concentrate on doing a good job and the rest of the things will take care of itself.

I'm not a religious person but if I were one, I would honour God through work. Do what you do best; work selflessly, tirelessly for the greater good of your community. To me no amount of ritualistic worship can gain more merits from the Almighty than an honest day's work.

No comments: