Sunday, April 04, 2004

Eating Habits

Eating Habits


I've been eating at home most of the time since coming back to KL. Kind of miss my old Jakarta habit of going to a quiet warung and plunge myself into a good book while waiting for my order of bakmi bakso or nasi goreng kambing to arrive. I do a lot of my reading before and after meals. Probably not a very healthy thing to do.

There are so many nice eating places near the hotel where I used to live: The popular Bakmi GM is nearby, the famous Ayam Goreng Suharti is just further down the road and not to mention all the fabulous roadside stalls along Jalan Agus Salim (also known as Jalan Sabang), selling everything from nasi goreng gila to burung dara goreng (fried pigeon). There's even a Batak restaurant there; but no I haven't tried their dog meat, which they refer to by the more euphemistic label, "B1". ("B2" refers to pork).

I used to have a difficult time deciding where to eat. But luckily I have the habit of eating only two meals a day. I feel a lot lighter and healthier if I limit my meals to two. But I'm no health freak; I'm not into things like organic food or Atkins diet. I just eat what makes me feel comfortable and only when I feel there's a need to do so. I listen to the signals from my body and trust what it says.

Our body knows best. It will always strive to maintain a healthy balance. We just need to listen and be sensitive to its needs. So far this simple health philosophy seems to be working well for me.

No comments: