Friday, April 09, 2004

A Daily Habit

A Daily Habit


One of the main purpose of this blog is for me to do a daily analysis of my thoughts besides serving as an avenue for me to practise my writing. Like what I've mentioned a couple of times in previous postings, this blog is more of an "exercise book" rather than a platform for public expression. Which is why I never bother much with the cosmetics of the site--I haven't bothered to update or change my template for more than half a year now nor do I ping to the Petaling Street Project portal anymore.

I also try not to visit my own site more than necessary because It is a bit like preening in front of the mirror. I only visit it whenever I publish something new and take the opportunity to reply to comments if I need to. It is certainly not the default homepage of my browser--I set mine to BBC World Service.

After more than a year of blogging almost daily, I think I've gained a better understanding of myself. I realised that I don't have the habit of ranting that much in my blog (even though I do enjoy reading other people's rants). Instead, there are a lot of reflections and meditations--often tinged with a sense of nostalgia.

My main motivation is to explore, to understand and to blend different strands of thoughts together--the past with the present, the arts with the sciences, the theory with the practice. It is an act of mental housekeeping: by rearranging and recombining all the bits and pieces of ideas and thoughts I have inside, I hope to find certain patterns and insights. I hope to evolve and grow.

I try to embrace at least one of Stephen Covey's Seven Habits: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Empathy is the first step towards greater understanding. Every person we meet in our lives offers some useful lessons for us--even those whom we have a natural dislike for.

The quest for understanding is a life-long one. As we grow older we often lose our desire to explore and learn; as a result our minds start to desintegrate. My daily habit of self-reflective blogging will hopefully help me to check that slide.

No comments: