Friday, July 02, 2004

Second Home

Second Home


It feels good to be back in Jakarta, my second home. I arrived yesterday afternoon and jumped straight to work. Was told the last minute that I had to do a presentation this morning. So last night I had to burn the midnight oil to prepare for it. Luckily, it went pretty well. But there's so much work ahead, I'm afraid I won't have much time to catch up with all my friends here.

Thank God there's a long weekend coming up--next Monday is the day for the Presidential Elections and it is a public holiday. It has been exhausting for me since my last few days in Bangkok which was followed by four hectic days in KL to catch up on my errands. Hopefully I can finally get some decent sleep this weekend and spend some quiet time (preferrable at the Phoe Nam cafe with a nice cup of kopi tubruk and roti bakar) analyzing the technical details related to my new project.

I've decided to stay near the Sabang area again this time--near my favourite mall, Sarinah. Found out that the 24-hour MacDonalds here is offering free wireless Internet access. Unfortunately it is a very crowded place and not very suitable for doing work. I haven't seen anyone with a notebook there yet. But I'll probably give it a try this weekend.

Today, I was finally able to enjoy my favourite nasi padang dinner at the Sederhana restaurant in Sabang. From khao pad and tom yum gung in Bangkok, my regular lunch diet for the next few weeks will probably be soto betawi and nasi timbel. The weeks that I spent in Bangkok was fun but there's no place like home: Jakarta.

No comments: