Sunday, June 27, 2004

Meatspace: The Real Life

Meatspace: The Real Life


I have to take the next couple of days in KL to complete a whole list of errands. The only way to prevent myself from being lazy is to slightly overload myself with work and other life maintenance activities. Once my momentum slackens, torpor starts to kick in.

I missed a day of blogging last Friday in Bangkok because I was out having dinner and drinks with friends and when I came back to my apartment, I was completely exhausted. I think for the coming week, blogging is going to take a much lower priority as I'll be occupied with some very important work.

Blogging can suck up your time unnecessarily if you are over-obsessed with the layout and design of your website. It could be a fun thing to do if you have lots of time but I think most of us already spent way too much time than necessary on the Net. Many are also addicted to chat-rooms.

A Sunday Mail report today shows that boredom and loneliness drive many people to seek friendship over chat-rooms. All of us have this yearning to connect with other people and Internet chat-rooms offer a "safe" and convenient to do so. I personally have never understood the attraction of these chat-rooms--they seem like such a great gobbler of time.

The only way to overcome loneliness is to keep oneself busy and to have a sense of purpose in life. Well, I can't claim to have such a great sense of purpose myself, but I am very rarely bored. There's always so much to do. How can we even afford to be bored when we are always saying that we don't have time to do all the things that we want to do?

We are bored simply because we are lazy; lazy to do what we are supposed to do. No mood. Restless. So we log onto the Net and gratify our minds with useless information and idle cyber-chats. These things are like junk food; a bit of it is great fun but it can never replace your regular meals. The real world is out there in meatspace.

Doing productive work and meeting real people are I think much more fulfilling activities. The Internet is a great source of knowledge and a great medium of communication. It's main purpose is to enhance our physical lives and not take over them completely. Sometimes we tend to forget that.

No comments: