Sunday, November 09, 2003

Of Skin and Class

Of Skin and Class


It perplexes me why my blog ends up on the top of the Google list when people search for "Manado girls". As far as I can remember I have only mentioned the subject once in passing in one of my entries. Based on my hit reports, I seem to be getting a lot of hits from people hunting for information on this subject, for obvious reasons. It really makes me wonder how Google determines their search rankings.

Oh no, now that I've mentioned those two words again, I think I'll end up reinforcing my position on top of the Google search list further. I sure hate to disappoint the huge number of blokes who end up not finding the information that they are looking for in my website. Sorry guys, there are better sites for such information.

People always say girls from Manado and Bandung are pretty because they have fair skins. In general, many Asian societies still consider white skins as an ideal of beauty. For the life of me, I cannot understand why. I personally find women with a healthy tan more attractive.

I shudder at the thought of women using skin-whitening creams, as I don't think they are healthy. I once asked some of my female friends as to why they consider fairness of skin beautiful. They told me that darker skins look "dirty" and people with white skins look "classier". That completely boggles me.

Indonesian women in general are not that dark--more of a kuning langsat shade. They actually don't have to try too hard to look fair. But I prefer the dusky "ethnic" look--the actress Lola Amaria is a fine example. I enjoyed watching her in the starring role of Ca Bau Kan, by female director Nia Dinata, based on a book by Remy Sylado.

But then again, I am not known for my taste in women. I've even been told by a female colleague that my taste for the fairer sex is very "low class". I admit I do enjoy chatting with waitresses, pelayan toko, cashiers and housekeepers. I actually learn a lot about the culture and geography of Indonesia from talking to them.

I suppose water will always find its own level. I am happy and comfortable being "low class". Ignorance of class is a real bliss. Furthermore, with guys going in droves after the fair-skinned maidens of Manado and Bandung, I have my own "niche market" of dark beautiful ethnic women which I could pick from. One shouldn't complain about that.

No comments: