Saturday, November 15, 2003

Watching the World

Watching the World


Many of the workers in the hotel where I'm staying now are my good friends. Some of them have changed jobs but they still remain in contact with me. I've also outlived the previous GM who took her position about the same time when I first settled down in Jakarta. She has since left the hotel and I still haven't had the chance to get aquainted with the new GM yet.

Diki, one of the bellboys, got married recently to Santi, who works at the frontdesk of another hotel nearby. Some of the staff have also shared the ups and downs of their love lives with me: Marlyn broke off with her Batak boyfriend earlier this year; and not too long ago sales executive Wiwik broke off with Jerry, who used to be the restaurant captain here--they have been together for many years but sadly religion proved to be a sticking point between their families (Wiwik is Muslim and Jerry, Christian).

Intan, the sweet 20-year old Sundanese housekeeper who cleans my room every morning is pregnant (through no fault of mine)--she got married earlier this year. She is always so cheerful and bubbly. Kind of miss her now that she has been reassigned to backoffice duties.

I suppose my own personal life is very dull--nothing much ever seems to happen. I am always working, reading and indulging in my personal idiosyncrasies. Like what I've said in previous postings, I am a parasitic single, a Lestat-like vampire who is contented watching people fall in love, get married, have kids and grow fat.

That reminds me: I have another wedding dinner to attend on the 29th of November in KL--at the Sunway Lagoon Resort Hotel. Yes, I'll be there to see how many kids my friends have and how fat they have grown.


No comments: