Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Travellers' Tales

Travellers' Tales



One of the most quoted lines in the literature is taken from Robert Frost's poem, The Road Not Taken:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

It was quoted by Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society (beside the now legendary line: Oh Captain, My Captain. from Walt Whitman's tribute to Abe Lincoln) and it was even mentioned in the bestseller on financial success, Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki. The lines also inspired The Road Less Traveled series of inspirational books by M. Scott Peck.

I am not that acquainted with the poems of Robert Frost myself; as a boy, I was more into works by the Romantic poets: Byron, Shelley and Wordsworth. And in university, it was the Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas who was my inspiration (Is that why I am quite fond of drinking now?). But that is another story....

The reason why I brought up these inspiring lines by Robert Frost is because I often have people coming to me for advice to problems or difficult decisions they face in life. It puts me on a spot, because I personally do not think I am qualified to advice anyone on anything. I am just a fellow traveller, trying to find the best path forward.

All of us have been put on different roads in life from the moment of our birth. No two roads are the same as in no two lives are alike. Sometimes our roads do intersect. And when people come to me for advise, I can only tell them what travelling on my paticular road has been like--two travellers exchanging notes momentarily at an intersection. All I can offer are my own traveller's tales. And then we both proceed to choose our own paths ahead.

I cannot tell them which road to take because I haven't been there myself. Sometimes I am not even sure where exactly I am heading. I am no further down the road than others because we are not travelling on the same road.

But it is important to exchange notes--perhaps that's what advice is all about. I have as much to learn from other travellers as they from me. Who knows, my terrain ahead could be similar to what others have encountered before.

Whether we choose the beaten path or the one less travelled, the choice is ours and ours alone to make. But sometimes the tale of a fellow traveller makes all the difference.


No comments: