Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Bandung and the Real Meaning of Life


The only thing I dislike about Bandung are the taxis--they never use the meter and they like to charge 20,000 rupiah for trips that would only cost 5,000 rupiah in Jakarta. The alternative is to use the angkut (minivan) service which charges a flat rate of 1,500 rupiah--if you can squeeze into them.

As I'm alone in Bandung on this trip, I would take the becak (trishaw) whenever I can. They still charge me an arm and a leg compared to what they would normally charge a local. But at least it is never more than 10,000 rupiah.

It is a hassle having to negotiate everytime you get into a cab or becak. It makes getting around in Bandung tiresome. Whenever I have the time, I would prefer to walk. I once walked all the way from the Savoy Homann Hotel, South of Bandung to Gedung Sate, somewhere on the north-eastern end of the town.

The Savoy Homann, among the oldest hotels in Bandung, with its Art Deco style, is my favourite. But I rarely get to stay there on business trips as it is inconveniently located further south, in the older part of Bandung city, in front of the historical Gedung Merdeka where the 1955 Asia-African Conference was held.

Whenever people talk about Bandung, they will never fail to remark about the pretty women here: long-haired, fair and slender, they are the epitome of Sundanese beauty. Is it a myth? I've made some observations of my own. But sorry guys, I'm too tired today to discuss about the famous mojang priangan. Will make an interesting subject for some future posting though. I think it will be a welcome change from my usual nerdy philosophical discussions about books, movies and the meaning of life.

Contrary to popular belief, I do know the real meaning of life :-)

No comments: