Friday, September 26, 2003

Time to Kill


Arriving to Jakarta is always a joy--even when one is coming from Bandung on the Argo Gede train. I'm back to the grubby and seedy world of Jakarta.

My three days in Bandung has been tiring but I enjoyed the isolation. Managed to do a lot of fruitful work with the customer too. I have a lot of things planned for this weekend. Will be meeting up with my friend Setiawan tomorrow. He's also a digital photography enthusiast; we'll be checking out some photographic equipment at Glodok.

I enjoy both solitude and the company of friends. I have many friends--especially women--who cannot stand being alone. I don't have such problems because I always have something to do. The trick to not feeling lonely is to have a sense of purpose in life.

I find it perplexing when people complain that they feel bored on long weekends. And that they have to find some ways to "kill" the time. They buy a stack of bootleg DVDs and consume them continuously over the holidays. It is almost like running a "screensaver" on your mind. Killing time is like killing yourself. In the end, you yourself are "consumed".

I have better things to kill: my bad habits. One of them is eating unhealthy food such as Indomie--the Indonesian instant noodles. I know some of my colleagues eat them everyday for breakfast. And I'm also getting a bit addicted to kopi tubruk. Prior to coming to Jakarta, I was more of a tea drinker. Nowadays I cannot resist a good Cup of Java...

No comments: