Wednesday, August 27, 2003

The Lightness of Being


One thing good that came out of my four years in Singapore is that I learnt how to live without a car. I have kept the habit even here in Jakarta.

I consider myself lucky that I do not envy people who drive nice cars. I think cars are a huge burden to maintain. One has to pay too high a premium for that incremental pleasure of zooming down the roads in style and comfort. Obviously I am someone who has no sense of style.

I used to drive a lot when I was working in KL and PJ. Thinking back, I much prefer the life I lead now, relying solely on public transport. I actually save a lot of time by not driving--I don't have to hunt for parking and I don't have to queue up to pay for parking tickets. The taxi picks me up from where I am and drops me exactly where I want to be. Hassle free.

It costs less for me to go around by taxi than to own a car. There are some drawbacks of course--sometimes it is difficult to hail a cab-- but the benefits far outweigh these minor inconveniences. There are always other means of transport here in Jakarta like mikrolets, bajajs and ojeks.

Obviously for those with families, a car is essential. And it is difficult to imagine taking a girl out without a pair of wheels. A car is a symbol of one's importance and also reflects the responsibilities that one carries in life. Also to a guy, perhaps, a car is the ultimate toy/gadget--imagine the speed, the power, the prestige, the freedom and all that phallic symbolism. It can be exhilarating.

Ironically I feel so much freer without one. Some feel aimless and lost without the weight of material possessions, position and responsibility. I only feel a pleasurable lightness---that Lightness of Being that Milan Kundera talked about. (I enjoyed both the book and the movie, starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Juliet Binoche and Lena Olin).

It could just be sheer irresponsibility or even immaturity on my side. But that's what I am: a Light Being. And the feeling is certainly not unbearable. Because, to quote Kundera again, Life is Elsewhere.

No comments: