Friday, August 29, 2003

Life is a Journey


I want to blog today before taking the 6.30pm flight back to KL. I'll be spending the next 4 days at home. I find it tougher to blog whenever I'm back in KL. Somehow life is a lot more hectic there.

The last time I was home--it was more of a business trip--I virtually spent my entire week camped at the KL office, helping the team with a proposal. But this time, I am taking leave. I want to take the opportunity to spend more time at home and to meet up with old friends.

I haven't been travelling much for the past two years. Going on a flight to me is a good opportunity to catch up on reading. I even enjoy reading inflight magazines such as Garuda, KrisWorld and Going Places.

I don't really mind long flights. We often get edgy and restless when our minds are over-eager to arrive at the destination. If we accept the fact that there is no way that our eagerness will make us arrive sooner, the experience won't be so bad. Are we not always reminded by hackneyed sayings such as "life is a journey, not a destination"?. I'd rather luxuriate--as best as one could--in my economy seat and immerse myself in a good book.

On those long flights from US to KL, I can finish a whole book. Biographies are the best. It is satisfying to be able to digest an entire man's life within a single flight. I remember in 1994, I read Isaac Asimov's autobiography: I, Asimov on my way back from San Francisco. It was so engrossing that I hardly slept throughout the entire journey.

My flight from Jakarta to KL will only take me two hours. Normally that's just enough time to read through the newspapers and to finish the inflight meal (usually nasi rendang). Look forward to hearing that pleasant (or irritating) 8-note chime over the PA system at KLIA again...


No comments: