Thursday, April 17, 2003

There were thrills and drama early this morning when Arsenal and Manchester United fought to a 2-2 draw. I did not wake up in time for the 1.30am (Jakarta time) match and when I switched on the TV, it was already the second half and the scoreline was 1-1. Immediately I witnessed Thierry Henry's goal putting Arsenal 2-1 ahead. Having equalized and then going a goal ahead, Arsenal appeared to have the edge in the match at that point had not Ryan Giggs equalized for Manchester United almost immediately.

One could imagine how furious Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was! Normally cool and pensive, he was on his feet, ranting and raving. It was a rare sight indeed. And then there was the drama of Sol Campbell's sent-off leaving Arsenal with 10 men. Thierry Henry could have sealed it for Arsenal in injury time when he volleyed a right-footer towards goal, but Fabien Barthez produced a fantastic save to maintain the scoreline.

The championship race is still open with both teams tied on points. Thoroughly entertained by the match, I slept soundly and when I woke up, I realized how late I was for work already!

No comments: