Saturday, March 22, 2003

While the world is in 'shock and awe' last night over the aerial bombardment of Baghdad, I had already tucked myself comfortably into bed in my hotel room in Jakarta. Haven't been feeling well for the past week due probably to lack of sleep and an overdose of war news on TV. Been leaving the TV on for the whole night for the past week; so last night, I decided to switch everything off.

For the first time for a while, I was in complete silence and darkness. Sleep didn't come that well though. But this morning my strength has returned a bit. My body's immune system is fighting its war against God knows what kind of bugs that are trying to take advantage of my temporary weakness. While over in Iraq, the coalition forces are routing the Iraqi army as expected, the outcome of the war raging in my body is not so certain yet.

The images of Baghdad under heavy bombardment reminds me of the opening scene of Blade Runner. Plumes of fire and smoke floating over a metropolitan night sky. In the poignant finale of the movie, the dying replicant played by Rutger Hauer saves the pursuing blade runner played by Harrison Ford from plunging to his death. Even a genetically engineered being on the throes of his death values life - any life - more than anything else.

Is this war just? There is no simple answer. Looks like war is a moral dilemma Man will continue to face again and again.

No comments: