Friday, May 13, 2005

A Place to Call Home

A Place to Call Home


On Wednesday evening, after I'd completed my presentation to the client, I decided to relax a bit at the Checkerboard of Galle Face Hotel, watching the sunset. With a good book for company and a bottle of cool Lion beer in my hand, it was a moment of sheer bliss. I didn't do much reading though because the light was fading and the mesmerising sight of the crimson sun slowly dipping into the horizon over the Indian ocean engrossed me completely.

I am happy to have pulled through a very difficult project with reasonably good results. Before the next one starts, I'd want to get a couple of things out of the way first. Now that I'm back in KL, I need to get the renovations on my "new" apartment done so that I can shift some of my stuff over there immediately. I am sorely in need of space. I said "new" because the place was actually ready for occupation over a year ago but somehow I've not been able to find the time to put in the basic infrastructure.

So many real estate agents have called me to enquire about the place but I've rejected all offers to have it rented out. I'm not planning to shift over to this place for the foreseable future either. All I want is a permanent home for all the junk that I've collected over my years of travel. I may not need a permanent home myself but they do.

I have also planned another trip to my second home--this time it is only partially for business. Well, I deserve a small break after all the hard work I've put in over the months. I am hopping that my upcoming projects will be in Indonesia but it looks like I'll have to be spend quite a bit of time in Colombo. At least the beach and the sunset there is something that I can look forward to. Perhaps like Sir Arthur C. Clarke, someday I will like the place enough to call it home too.

No comments: