Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Struggle

The Struggle


I dread having friends calling me late at night, asking me to go out. These are usually friends from overseas who happen to be in town. I used to play host to a lot of visitors when I was working in KL ten years ago. I knew all the popular nightspots well then, but not anymore. These days, a quiet night at home is a most welcome bliss.

Saturday nights are a bit different these days--the live telecast of the EPL matches have become the focal point and highlight of every weekend for most men. I don't really enjoy watching soccer matches in pubs because the commentaries are usually drowned by the noise. And those who watch soccer together with their buddies at watering holes usually like to bet. I'm not a fan a gambling either.

It has been a year of heartbreaks for me when it comes to the performance of Liverpool. I've lost count how many times I've sat down in front of the TV on a Saturday evening looking forward to a scintillating performance from my favourite team only to see them lose in the most pathetic fashion to bottom-of-the-table teams--like in today's match. I think I'm going to stop watching them play for the rest of the season. I'm also determined not to blog about Liverpool or soccer anymore, unless the miraculous happens: Liverpool wins the Champions League.

How does one deal with disappointment? I guess by taking whatever positives that one can from the experience and moving on. Work-wise, I've had a relatively productive Saturday, spending about four hours working from the Coffee Bean Cafe at USJ10. The past week has been relatively unproductive for me because of the many errands that I have to take care of. I have difficulties with the weather too; it's been a terribly hot week here in KL, with wild torrential rains in the evenings. There were flash floods in various parts of the city yesterday. Luckily I wasn't on the road, having gone home pretty early.

I'm looking forward to a better week ahead. I need to control my environment and manage my time better. It's always a struggle, but then again, nothing comes without a struggle. Liverpool struggles to perform whenever they play away; I seem to struggle whenever I'm back home in KL. I blame it on the weather and all the distractions, but I guess it's my fault for not being able to deal with them better. It's a difficult struggle alright but it's one that I'm confident of coming out tops. I hope Liverpool plays the rest of their matches with the same kind of spirit too!

No comments: