Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Meme Generator

Meme Generator


I haven't had much time lately to do any maintenance on my blog. I think it is badly in need of a facelift. I have written so many entries and they are now buried somewhere in the archives; I wish I could classify and provide easier links to them. I myself sometimes have to use the search engine to dig out an earlier entry. The current website design is not scalable at all. But any changes will have to wait, as I have more urgent things in the in-tray of my mind.

Will I ever run out of subjects to blog? I hope not. Like what I've mentioned many times before (and I am lazy to find links to those past entries), blogging is like a daily prayer. I commit to blog everyday and I try to keep that commitment.

I know that when I'm finally back in KL, blogging will be a tougher thing to do. Life in KL is "noisier". Here in Jakarta, I feel blissful in my isolation. The mind expands, soars and dances in the exalted realms of the intellect. KL life is all action and exhaustion; time to think is minimal. Life slips by easily--which is what I seriously want to avoid. This brings me back to the whole point of blogging--it helps me arrest that slip. I try to reevaluate my life everyday and "reset" my mind. So blogging daily--though it will be much more difficult for me to do--is even more essential when I'm back in KL.

There are many subjects that I want to blog about but have not started to do so because I feel that at my present state of mind, I am not able to do them justice. And for the past few weeks, I have been blogging from Internet cafes, making the task even more challenging as I have to use my surfing time as efficiently as possible to minimize cost. At such times, you start appreciating the "free" internet connection that you get in the office.

Being able to blog daily gives me a sense of satisfaction: my day, no matter how mundane, did not disappear without a trace--I have my thoughts deposited in cyberspace to proof it. The significance of those thoughts is magnified when someone else reads them and voila, the virus has spread. A thought once introduced into the world, cannot be undone. Some reaction has occured in your mind the moment you read these words--the state of your mind has been altered forever.We are all meme generators, constantly infecting one another.

The memes or mind viruses that I am spewing out now are the results of a lifetime of infections from so many different people (both living and dead). They have mutated, recombined and synthesized into unrecognizable forms. For as long as I live, I will be a spreader of memes. When my mortal body is no longer around, perhaps my blog will continue to do so?

No comments: