Monday, December 01, 2003

Seismography of the Mind

Seismography of the Mind


I want to submit this blog entry before I leave for Jakarta tomorrow afternoon. As usual, there's never enough time for me to meet everyone that I want to meet in KL. All that driving from one end of the city to the other also leaves me thoroughly exhausted at the end of the day.

At night, I reflect back on the day's events, and reassess all my words and actions. Thinking is always clearer when one writes. This is one of the reasons why I also keep a handwritten journal besides this blog.

The act of taking the pen for a walk, soothes the mind. It is like watching the residual echoes of the mind subside--a seismograph recording the fading traces of an earthquake.

Your handwriting helps you trace out the impulses of the mind. You connect dots (or thought bubbles) together and you see a pattern. Reasoning then becomes more objective. The essence of your reasoning is captured in the very heat of the moment--frozen in your frantic scribbles. Subsequent rereading of the entry will give you a chance to see things in a completely different light, minus the turmoil of emotions that often cloud a troubled mind.

I can think better in Jakarta because my life there is more orderly. Here in KL, my karmic connections are more complex. It takes greater skill to resolve; it demands a subtlety of the mind.

Hopefully, tomorrow I will reread this entry when I get to blog again in Jakarta. And most likely I will be at my favourite cybercafe beside HRC. I will be writing from a completely different world. I'll probably wonder what kind of esoteric nonsense am I writing about today!

No comments: