Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Memory Mining

Memory Mining


I rarely write on IT-related subjects and will not attempt to do so in this entry either. But as an IT professional, I habitually find myself thinking about everything in IT paradigms. My previous entry about the Four-Layer Stack is an example.

Recently I have been presenting a lot about data mining as a concept that's part of an organization's business intelligence. The definition for data mining from whatis.com describes it as a process of "sorting through data to identify patterns and establish relationships".

My daily blogging is a bit like data mining. These daily rambles are nothing but an attempt to scour my own store memories and knowledge to look for patterns and inter-relationships. At the same time, fresh input are entering my mind through daily experiences; the store gets richer and new patterns emerge. Readers' comments further enrich the mining soil.

It has become a necessity for me, these daily dog-like habit of burrowing in the backyard of my mind. It is an act of self-discovery. Ocassionally I discover some nuggets of wisdom but often there's nothing but useless dirt and soil. But as I alluded in a previous blog entry, I will continue digging...

No comments: