Friday, July 04, 2003

Fridays are full of Possibilities


Traffic on a Friday in Jakarta is very unpredictable. Taxis are difficult to get in the evenings. Maybe I'll unwind with a slow beer at the Matabar opposite the office first. The bartenders there always tell me that the place is filled with ABGs ( acronym for Anak Baru Gede, pronounced "Ah-Bay-Gay" - teenaged or under-aged girls) late at night. Their promotional e-mail today screams: "Tequila Madness". "Ladies' Night". It's a pity that I've never been interested to stay later than 9 pm.

The single girls in the office would normally like to go out too. But I am in no mood to spend the evening listening to their office gossips. I have a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon waiting for me back in my hotel room; and Kafka's Letters to Felice sounds like more interesting company for a Friday night......


No comments: