Thursday, May 15, 2003

My Middleclass Malaysia


Only when I return to KL do I realise how clean and beautiful the city is. I miss KL but I also dread the hectic lifestyle here. My life in Jakarta is a lot less stressful but one perhaps feel a bit like living in a small town. USJ (UEP Subang Jaya), where I live is the typical Malaysian middle-class township. The neat tidy suburban roads with slow moving Proton Sagas, restaurants with hawker stalls and children's playgrounds gives the place an air of domestic contentment. This is the life that I've left behind ever since I moved to Singapore and later to Jakarta.

I like my life in Jakarta. But someday I'll come back to this Malaysian middle-class existence; eat my wonton noodles with New Straits Times for breakfast, drink with my buddies at Bangsar Baru and do the my weekend shopping at One Utama. But I'm not done with my exile yet. My existential quest is still on.

No comments: