Monday, September 01, 2003

A Vampire in DJ


I still have a soft spot for Damansara Jaya--I stayed there for almost five years. It used to be a busier place: The Parkson Grand/Atria Mall there was the most popular shopping complex in PJ then. Whenever there was a sale going on, the whole area would be jam-packed with cars.

The room where I lodged overlooked the Cherie Lounge. While I was staying there, many a times, late at night, I would be awaken by the drunken laughter of GROs spilling out from the place after finishing the night's work. I also liked having teh tarik and nasi lemak at the stall in front of the Picadilly discotheque. All these places are no longer there.

But the Orient Express Pub, where we had many a good drinking session is still around after all these years (even though they have shifted to another shoplot). It is certainly not a hip place to hang out; the place is what I would call a "community pub"--a watering hole for regulars to have a quiet after-work beer.

The company where I started my IT career had its office in Damansara Jaya before they shifted to Section 13. The office was like a club to us--we would always hang out there even during weekends. There was a great sense of camaraderie and work was a lot of fun.

We were all young and single--comrades-in-arms who fought together in the trenches. Most of my friends are now married with kids. Many have been quite successful in their career. A lot of water has passed under the bridge.

The other day, I dropped by for a short while at the Atria Shopping Mall. Voices from the past echoed in my mind and glimpses of familiar faces seemed to peek from every corner.

I felt like Lestat the Vampire visiting his old haunts.

No comments: